What can you do with examineer.in?
Examineer.in allows you to create educational micro-content and assemble them together in the form of online quizzes and learning modules. We support various kinds of micro-contents. Apart from the most popular multiple-choice questions, you can also create fill-in blanks and arrange items questions. All of this you can assemble into a quiz and deliver it to your class as a homework assignment, or an in-class quiz or exam. As most things on examiner.in, you are in-charge of what you want to do, all the way from designing your content to delivering and monitoring your quizzes.
Each of the micro-content that you can author here has programmability and computability built into it, something unique to this class of service. These two features provide variabilities to the content that you develop. In simple words, when you author a single multiple choice question and deliver to students in your class, each student will get a different copy of the question with varying content. This diminishes student’s ability to copy from another to a large extent, provided that you authored the content in such a way.
What is special about examineer.in or What is Mingo?
For content creators or authors, we wrote a simple embeddable programming language called Mingo (derived from Math Lingo) that allows you to create micro-content with the power of computation and programming. It provides both variability to content and ease in creating scientific and math-rich content. Using Mingo, you can auto-evaluate expressions and randomise numerical values, complex mathematical expression, even words or sentences. Mingo allows for typesetting and evaluation of arbitrary expressions and equations. Arbitrary expressions mean that even non-math content can be randomised with-in a micro-content using Mingo.
We also support TEX or Ascii Math for static math typesetting for inline equation or display equation mode. Thanks to MathJaX.
Why use examineer.in?
With examineer.in you can create a library of micro-content that you can use anytime anywhere to create educational e-content in form of quizzes, lessons, and apps. Over time you can build a large library of content from your area of expertise that will be available on examineer.in perpetually for you to use in many forms. You can reuse the micro-content created once many times. Your content stays safe with us and the service to develop micro-content is free of cost forever. Creating quizzes and micro-contents for noncommercial purposes is also free of cost. Moreover, we are going to add features that you are simply going to love as they will allow you to work more efficiently and create a better e-learning world.
Here is a brief non-exhaustive list of features that are in the pipeline:
- Collaboration on projects to allow you to work with other authors on bigger projects for creating apps or quizzes/exams.
- Ability to create e-learning apps for mobile platforms.
- Public library of content: we aim to build the largest public library of subject-wise assessment content where authors can donate their micro-contents for use by other authors
- More variety of assessment styles to give you more control in teaching, learning, and assessment
Each micro-content that you create now is going to count. Investing your time on examineer.in has bright future.
How examineer.in stops copying in a quiz/homework: Four Layers of Randomisation!
Examineer allows you to have four layers of randomisation in a quiz posted to the students/learners. The micro-contents that will become part of a student’s quiz are chosen randomly from a pool of micro-contents provided by you, moreover, their order is randomised if you choose that. With-in each micro-content, such as multiple choice question or arrange items question, the order of the items is randomised. Finally, thanks to Mingo, you can even have the content of the questions themselves randomised via programmability and computability features. The last feature is, of course, the most powerful of the four layers of randomisation. The information about the correct answer is only kept server side and it also varies from one student’s quiz to another’s, thus copying from another student becomes extremely difficult. Also, quiz review is possible only after the deadline ends, that is when all students have submitted their quiz.
You can control the quiz timeline, that is, log-in opening time, submission deadline, quiz duration and whether duration should be counted since first log-in or counted as actual login time. These controls allow you to constrain the access to the quiz and students ability to copy from others. We also provide you with information about when the students started their quiz and when they submitted. Some of the usages mentioned below suggest some best practices to have great learning outcome while diminishing plagiarism.
How does examineer aids in learning?
To our very core, we are all about learning not just testing or assessment. Achieving high-quality active learning through interaction with content is the primary purpose of examineer. The platform delivers you the power of guided inquisitive learning. Incepting a question in learners’ mind has more power than providing informational content. An inquisitive learner embarks himself/herself on a quest for knowledge. Each micro-content supports help features in form of hint or explanation which provides guidance to a learner when required. You may associate a penalty with the usage of hint or explanation through a feature called grading matrix which inhibits a learner from casually using the help. As a teacher, you will know how many times each learner has used a help feature in a quiz. Learners’ usage of help and their quiz performances over time will allow you to assess their growth.
[Coming soon feature] We also provide learning objectives based feedback to learners and teachers. While authoring micro-contents, you can assign to each micro-content, the concepts and the skills (up to two) they teach or test. While generating quiz report we will provide a score for each learning objective that was part of the quiz. You and your learners will both know about their strengths and weaknesses.
How to use examineer for your class?
Here are a few of our recommendations. We truly believe that you will invent your own new ingenious ways.
- Examineer for homework: Regular assignments and homework problems are a very useful time-tested tool for learning. Often teachers and instructors do not have time to grade assignments and provide feedback to the students in time. Students or learners, on the other hand, tend to forget what they did in the assignment and do not learn to correct their mistakes. Other problem teachers may face is that their students may have simply copied from other students or resources on the internet without learning the problem-solving ability intended through the assignment thus defeating the purpose of the homework. Examineer.in takes care of both these problems by allowing assessment content to be variable for each student and by providing feedback on their performance through a review feature post submission. Our recommendation is that you provide students with regular assignments as usual. Rather than asking them to submit a hand written assignment you can push them a quiz through examineer immediately after the due date. Keep your quiz micro-contents based on the assignment, test on related problems or test on aspects that can only be answered correctly if the student has worked through the assignment. Adding a strong assessment component to weekly homework which also provides them timely feedback will make students sincere towards the assigned homework. Using examineer this way you keep traditional values of homework assignments along with the modern approach to learning.
- Pre-lecture preparation: sending a small 15 to 20 minutes quiz to students before they come for the class can help them prepare really well for what you are going to teach them. For this purpose, objective question varieties are the most suited. Examineer offers a few of them now and will offer more in future.
- In-class Quiz: You can also conduct an online examineer quiz in the classroom. Students will need to bring a laptop or tablet or you will have to provide for that. Conducting such a quiz in a common computer lab is also a possibility. Since you control the timeline you can choose to make the quiz active only when you think the class is ready. They won’t be able to log-in until you allow them. Of course, WiFi internet is required in your classroom. As the content is randomised they won’t be able to get help from others on the same. Some security care may be needed. See here.
You can also use examineer to conduct multiple full-scale examination or a test for admission or certification. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for your needs and we will work with you to provide professional customised solutions.
How to use examineer for professional exams such as admission test or certifications test?
If you are offering examineer quiz under invigilation you can ensure that students' don't use unfair means. You can choose settings to allow or not allow them to see their scores or to access review feature. You can completely block their access after they finish their exam by changing their password if you want to do it case by case basis. You can activate or deactivate the quiz at any time to provide or stop access to it. You remain in charge of everything you do here. Also, see the next section for part of the answer.
What security issues do I need to worry about to stop copying/plagiarism when conducting online quiz through examineer?
When you create a quiz there are a few security features that we provide. These features are more to ensure that quiz takers do not access unauthorised data, two users cannot log into the same quiz at the same time, quiz takers cannot hack into quiz data using browser add-ons, or use insecure or untrusted browsers. These features, however, cannot control the quiz takers from contacting others in person or on the internet and receive help.
You will have to judge the need for additional security on the basis of the nature of the quiz and class you are serving to. For example, asking students to be present in a restricted location, such as a classroom, you can ensure that they cannot interact with others in person. To stop internet communication you will need to ensure that your routers allow access to only examineer.in and a few other required resources, all other internet requests and protocols should be blocked. To better understand your networking environment and restrictions that you can or cannot impose, you should consult with your network administrator.
We are constantly working to provide more secure solutions such as app-only access to a high-security quiz which will overcome weaknesses offered by the browsers. Operating quiz in a controlled environment ensures that the students cannot use unfair means.
What is the vision behind examineer?
The effort behind examineer started to provide an affordable solution to conduct online assessment for regular teaching in India, like homework and in-class quiz. Providing regular homework that is graded and provide feedback is essential to learning. Often times we do not have adequate resources as the number of students continues to grow. Examineer aims to address this growing concern.
We also want to create a large database of organized e-learning and assessment content collected through crowdsourcing that lives in the cloud forever. The contents are created and stored in form of micro-contents owned by authors till they choose to contribute it to a subject-wise public repository. These repositories of micro-contents will be available to other authors to pull content from to create e-learning and assessment styles. Make it once use it again and again to improve learning.
We also aim to address the issue of plagiarism in homework assignments and exams. This is central to our design.
Conducting quizzes, managing homework, grading and providing feedback can be a daunting task for teachers in teaching a course. For computers, it is not! Let computers do what they are good at and let humans create innovative e-learning and assessment content. With that philosophy in mind, examineer is created by academicians for academicians.
Examineer's architecture is built keeping security, scalability, and sustainability in mind. We use the most modern industry standard MVC architecture. So get on with confidence.